Genesis G80 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Genesis knows that potential buyers won't spring for a luxury sedan with a starting price of $54,550 if it doesn't have a laundry list of features. That's why the G80 works hard to tempt you with its good looks, comfort, conveniences and a 10-year, 100,000-mile powertrain warranty.

Delivering human-focused innovation, the G80 comes with plenty of technology designed to make life easier.

There's Auto Hold, a feature will keep the car from moving after it comes to a complete stop in D, R, or N. Once throttle is applied, the brakes will be released. It also comes with an innovative hands-free trunk that will automatically pops the lid open if it detects the smart key nearby for more than three seconds.

Inside the cabin is a Head-Up Display system with adjustable brightness, allowing drivers to stay focused on the road instead of the infotainment screen. Projected onto the front windscreen are key driving information including speed, cruise-control status, navigation, blind-spot monitoring, lane departure and forward collision warnings.

Sure, CarBuzz says the G80 lags behind in power and performance compared to rivals like the Cadillac CTS, Mercedes E-Class and BMW 5-Series. But those vehicles costs more and the G80 comes with three refined engine options: a 5.0-liter V8, 3.8-liter V6 and a 3.3-liter twin-turbocharged V6.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Some of the features that the Genesis G80 offers will cost a lot more as additional options in its competitors. That may be enough to draw in buyers who are looking more for luxury and track performance. Pretty goo deal for what you'll be paying.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The hands free trunk thing sounds like it may get a tad annoying so that's something I'll probably be seeking a way to to turn off.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Anyone here have experience with Hyundai's HUD system? Seems like there's not many reviews out there on it, surprisingly especially since this is something we will be using 90% of the time

·
Registered
13 Posts
Anyone here have experience with Hyundai's HUD system? Seems like there's not many reviews out there on it, surprisingly especially since this is something we will be using 90% of the time
I think it is very good. Like any HUD, polarized lenses will make it hard yo see. I've had HUD on a number of vehicles including the 2013 BMW I traded for the G80. I think it is easier to see and a bit more interactive with the Navigational instructions.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think it is very good. Like any HUD, polarized lenses will make it hard yo see. I've had HUD on a number of vehicles including the 2013 BMW I traded for the G80. I think it is easier to see and a bit more interactive with the Navigational instructions.
See thats a downside with established brands like BMW, they develop a strong loyal following and then start to cut back or remain at certain levels. Then what remains is spending more to get the really good and modern stuff from higher end models if that.

Although the BMW was a 2013, hows you Genesis experience so far compared to the BMW?

·
Registered
25 Posts
It is nice to see the speed limit right up there next to the vehicle speed and the blind spot indicator is right in front of you as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
See thats a downside with established brands like BMW, they develop a strong loyal following and then start to cut back or remain at certain levels. Then what remains is spending more to get the really good and modern stuff from higher end models if that.

Although the BMW was a 2013, hows you Genesis experience so far compared to the BMW?
I came from a 335I x-drive set up as a driver's car with dynamic handling package and performance power pack, so not the typical BMW. These are options not typically on dealer inventory cars. The BMW wins as a drivers car, but that is a tough car to find today without ordering from the factory.

The BMW engines (straight six) are silky smooth and far more refined. The BMW power comes across at all RPM levels versus most cars, so similar levels of HP are quite different. I was reluctant to leave, but frustrated with the whole process of ordering and unable to configure like i wanted without adding options I didn't want.

With that said, the quality and style of the G80 kept haunting me and a weekend drive convinced me. The G80 is a much bigger car than my last BMW, but I had three five series prior to that one. I enjoy the G80 more and more as I drive it. I am pushing 4K miles in two months, and it seems to be getting better. I tried a tank of non-ethenal gas and, like the BMW's, the car really runs better.

The quality of Genesis can stand up to BMW; I think the paint quality in particular far better. The G80 braking seems very responsive without the constant brake dust and squealing of BMW brakes!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I came from a 335I x-drive set up as a driver's car with dynamic handling package and performance power pack, so not the typical BMW. These are options not typically on dealer inventory cars. The BMW wins as a drivers car, but that is a tough car to find today without ordering from the factory.

The BMW engines (straight six) are silky smooth and far more refined. The BMW power comes across at all RPM levels versus most cars, so similar levels of HP are quite different. I was reluctant to leave, but frustrated with the whole process of ordering and unable to configure like i wanted without adding options I didn't want.

With that said, the quality and style of the G80 kept haunting me and a weekend drive convinced me. The G80 is a much bigger car than my last BMW, but I had three five series prior to that one. I enjoy the G80 more and more as I drive it. I am pushing 4K miles in two months, and it seems to be getting better. I tried a tank of non-ethenal gas and, like the BMW's, the car really runs better.

The quality of Genesis can stand up to BMW; I think the paint quality in particular far better. The G80 braking seems very responsive without the constant brake dust and squealing of BMW brakes!
Maybe once the G70 is out you'll want to make the switch, it will be the perfect medium between what you had with BMW and all that you like in Hyundai. ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Auto open feature for trunk IS selectable. Function is when vehicle is locked. I've tried both settings. Decided I like it ON.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts