Genesis G80 Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
I also have a 2018 G80 Ultimate with same A/C problem and live in Florida. Experienced the issue on first road trip with car after about an hour back in October of 2021. The dealer replaced the thermister which seemed to have worked but I rarely drive more then 30 to 45 minutes. Issue happened again yesterday after about 30 minutes on trip to and from my destination. Very frustrating if a Genesis G80 has to be limited to a work commuter car. I'll be attempting another visit to the dealer.

· Registered
2 Posts
I also have a 2018 G80 Ultimate with same A/C problem and live in Florida. Experienced the issue on first road trip with car after about an hour back in October of 2021. The dealer replaced the thermister which seemed to have worked but I rarely drive more then 30 to 45 minutes. Issue happened again yesterday after about 30 minutes on trip to and from my destination. Very frustrating if a Genesis G80 has to be limited to a work commuter car. I'll be attempting another visit to the dealer.
Can I suggest you contact Genesis directly.
I emailed and spoke to them who advised when I questioned them that multiple people have this issue they only have seen one other report of this issue.
Any car that is purchased should not be purchased for limited use, unless this is owners decision not based on what owner find out later due to defects.
This problem is a definite fault of genesis and must be a recall fix.

· Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone had "mist" come out of the vents on the driver's side when the system begins to malfunction after about 30 minutes? Mine has worked well for 2 weeks, then this morning "steam" for about 5 min and then very little air flow, even on high. Dealer claims it could be system freezing, and follow the heating path suggested above. Did not work this morning on way to work nor on the way home. Frustrating as i really do love the car, yet not a good driver in Fort Lauderdale.

· Registered
10 Posts
FYI.....attended a function today and a guest pulled up in a new G80. I asked if he had any problems with a/c. He saw a 2018 G80 in the lot, asked if it was mine, and then proceeded to tell me EXACTLY what I was experiencing. Apparently he is one of the managers of a Genesis dealership in my state and said he has had about 30 in the past two years with the same issues. He states the problem is the system is "overcharged" from the factory. His dealership quietly drains the system (not always at the warranty expense of Genesis), refills it, and claims it corrects the problem. Out of pocket expense is between $200-$300 if not under warranty. Cheaper than a new car. Worth trying. He said if my dealer won't do it, take a weekend road trip to his dealership and let them drain and refill the system. Has anyone had their system drained and refilled, and with what results?????

I am going to pursue this with my dealer and will post update.

· Registered
2018 Genesis G80 5.0 Ultimate
3 Posts
Hi All, I have a Genesis G80 2018 - 5.0 model.
Issue: After longer periods of time my air flow from the AC vents is greatly reduced and makes a loud noise from under the dash. AC does not blow out of vents and changes based on the car speed.

I have taken it to the dealership like 4-5 times and they have given me no help or no assistance....

SO ! I have taken matters into my own hands. I bought a new blower motor (only $144) and a new resistor ($44). Both parts can be installed on the passenger side (under glove box) in under 10 minutes. VERY easy, only 5 screws need to be taken out and parts slid into place.

I let everyone know if this fixes the issue. Parts will be in on Friday 9/16!
Cheers,
Preston

· Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone had "mist" come out of the vents on the driver's side when the system begins to malfunction after about 30 minutes? Mine has worked well for 2 weeks, then this morning "steam" for about 5 min and then very little air flow, even on high. Dealer claims it could be system freezing, and follow the heating path suggested above. Did not work this morning on way to work nor on the way home. Frustrating as i really do love the car, yet not a good driver in Fort Lauderdale.
Negative, but I have other issues. I have posted in the thread and think I found a fix. will keep you updated.

· Registered
2018 G80 5.0
1 Posts
New forum member with 2018 G80 5.0 with around 20,000 miles in central Florida. I feel vindicated or at least confirmed not crazy i.e. reading all post with air cooling problems in G80. We've had car over year and these problems just popped up this summer. NOTE: Hadn't done lot of long trips until recently so may be reason?? Usually 30 to 60 minutes or so that problem creeps up (although has happened sooner). Always keep on Climate system on AUTO around 76. When air starts feeling hot, turn down air to 72, does NOT get cooler. Sometimes air blower sound like blowing at super high speed but hardly any air coming out. Of course acts perfectly try to show anyone or take for service at dealer. Dealer did changed out Thermostat (same as Resistor?) month ago > did not work. Now waiting on condenser part to come in. Used hand held heat meter and noticed when "problems" start happening, passenger side nice and cool and 10 degrees cooler than driver side. I too noticed that by turning entire CLIMATE system to OFF and waiting as long as can and then back on. Sometimes air will blow out cold & high right away and other times have to turn off and on until get back home after long trips. Problem sometimes happens quickly even at night but always when very hot & humid and especially when rainy I love this car but unhappy all trouble with cooling system (and apparently, every other 2018 G80 owner!). I will post any good news or updates. Seems like lot of other forum members may or may not have found fixes i.e. actuator door; system is "overcharged" and needs to be reduced; drain, flush & refill system, fan, blower motor, cabin filter, evaporation sensors, etc., etc..) but haven't posted updates (or if ok for while and then starting happening again) or maybe, got fed up and got another car!!!

· Registered
3 Posts
New forum member with 2018 G80 5.0 with around 20,000 miles in central Florida. I feel vindicated or at least confirmed not crazy i.e. reading all post with air cooling problems in G80. We've had car over year and these problems just popped up this summer. NOTE: Hadn't done lot of long trips until recently so may be reason?? Usually 30 to 60 minutes or so that problem creeps up (although has happened sooner). Always keep on Climate system on AUTO around 76. When air starts feeling hot, turn down air to 72, does NOT get cooler. Sometimes air blower sound like blowing at super high speed but hardly any air coming out. Of course acts perfectly try to show anyone or take for service at dealer. Dealer did changed out Thermostat (same as Resistor?) month ago > did not work. Now waiting on condenser part to come in. Used hand held heat meter and noticed when "problems" start happening, passenger side nice and cool and 10 degrees cooler than driver side. I too noticed that by turning entire CLIMATE system to OFF and waiting as long as can and then back on. Sometimes air will blow out cold & high right away and other times have to turn off and on until get back home after long trips. Problem sometimes happens quickly even at night but always when very hot & humid and especially when rainy I love this car but unhappy all trouble with cooling system (and apparently, every other 2018 G80 owner!). I will post any good news or updates. Seems like lot of other forum members may or may not have found fixes i.e. actuator door; system is "overcharged" and needs to be reduced; drain, flush & refill system, fan, blower motor, cabin filter, evaporation sensors, etc., etc..) but haven't posted updates (or if ok for while and then starting happening again) or maybe, got fed up and got another car!!!
I have some new information,..... thinking that it could be the temp set in the car.... I am troubleshooting and still working on solution on mine.... I have the same car as you. Open to talking about it on the phone or email to compare issues and fixes.

· Registered
10 Posts
Update: King Genesis in Deerfield Beach, FL had my 2018 G80 for 2 weeks, replicated the freezing problem, after testing diagnosed a short in the evap temp sensor/thermister, replaced it, and could not get it to freeze up again. The a/c system is operating differently/well, air is cold out of the vents, no damp musty water smell, fan speeds are higher. I also now notice more water on the pavement when the car is parked. I have not driven it over 30 min yet, and will post again if this repair did not fix the problem. So far, so good.

· Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue (also 2018 G80) and had it for over a year. It always happens when I'm driving on the highway for over 30 minutes. The air sounds like it's clogged and the wind stops blowing from the vents. They have replaced nearly every part, but it keeps happening. They have said there were shorts and often couldn't replicate the problem unless they took it for a few days. I have little faith this will ever get fixed.
SOLUTION to AC stop working! Run the AC on AUTO especially during hot days (80+). Change the Temp setting as you prefer. I hope everyone reads this.

· Registered
10 Posts
SOLUTION to AC stop working! Run the AC on AUTO especially during hot days (80+). Change the Temp setting as you prefer. I hope everyone reads this.
[/QUOTE

I always run my a/c on "auto" and it still froze up. The dealer replaced my "thermister" two weeks ago and it has been working fine since then. In fact, I drove it for about an hour and a half yesterday and it worked very well. I think the part is called the evaporator temperature sensor (thermister). I will post again if it begins to act up.......

· Registered
10 Posts
Another update: The replacement of the thermistor did help with half of the issues. It's back at the dealer again. They drained the refrigerant, put in a dye, and found the evaporator was defective. So, that is being replaced now and they feel that is the cause of the remaining issues. They will have the car for another week, and it is being repaired under Genesis warranty. Will post again once I have the car back and let you know if the combination of the two repairs fixed the a/c issues.

· Registered
10 Posts
FURTHER UPDATE: After having my car again for 2 weeks, the a/c system was drained and replaced with a dye material and run for at least one hour. Problem occured again and problem was determined to be the evaporator core/coil. Dealer says they are seeing 2-3 a week with same problem. Genesis made the repair/replacement under warranty, and it is working fine so far. No long trips yet due to the holidays, yet it is operating. Like a new system totally.

I have spoken with a few other owners from this dealership and all have had their evaporator cores replaced which seems to have resolved the problem MAJOR repair.....dash and steering wheel need to be removed, system drained, dye inserted, left to run for long period of time, core leaks and a/c stops working, replacement parts, oil, seals installed in reverse order..

Hope this solves my problem and is something each of you should look into. I plan on a trip to Charleston late January and will post if it acts up again. Happy New Year.

· Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2019 G80sport. The air conditioner stops blowing out air after 45 minutes of driving in hot and humid conditions. I took it to the dealer multiple times. They replaced the thermistor and blower motor and I still had the problem. I asked them to check to see if the system was overcharged they said it was not. I had them drain the system and refill it. When they drained the system they found out that it WAS overcharged and freezing up the system . I have driven the car the last six months in all weather conditions and have not experienced the problem again.

· Registered
2 Posts
FYI.....attended a function today and a guest pulled up in a new G80. I asked if he had any problems with a/c. He saw a 2018 G80 in the lot, asked if it was mine, and then proceeded to tell me EXACTLY what I was experiencing. Apparently he is one of the managers of a Genesis dealership in my state and said he has had about 30 in the past two years with the same issues. He states the problem is the system is "overcharged" from the factory. His dealership quietly drains the system (not always at the warranty expense of Genesis), refills it, and claims it corrects the problem. Out of pocket expense is between $200-$300 if not under warranty. Cheaper than a new car. Worth trying. He said if my dealer won't do it, take a weekend road trip to his dealership and let them drain and refill the system. Has anyone had their system drained and refilled, and with what results?????

I am going to pursue this with my dealer and will post update.

· Registered
10 Posts
Success, I think!! Took my 2018 G-80 back to the dealer after they replaced thermistor which did not correct total problem. They were able to replicate the problem after letting car run for 60 min.

Solution: they evacuated the system, installed a dye, and after another 40 minutes at idle found a leak in the evaporator core. The core, and assorted parts involved, was replaced, dashboard and steering wheel reinstalled, and voila, it's cold!!! It is a huge repair.

Dealer says they are repairing 2-3 a week and once evaporator core is replaced, there have been no returns with the same problem.

So far, my car operates perfectly and is COLD. I have yet to take a long road trip yet they let it run for another 60 minutes on max once the core/car was reassembled and it performed as new. I set it at 70 and leave it on auto

I suggest you try this avenue. it is an expensive/warranty repair, some dealers don't want to get involved, yet it appears to be the problem. Still cheaper than a new car.

Push the dealer and the Genesis warranty people. Most are aware of this issue.

· Registered
0 Posts
I own a 2019 G80 3.3T with 27K miles on it. The a/c crapped out as described in July 2021 on a trip from NJ to SC, where I have now moved. My Genesis Complaint with the National Customer Service crew is 18494456. Hannah is the agent that is ignoring the fact that I sent her three videos of the failure when I moved to SC in September. She was also supposed to arrange for a national service tech to inspect the car in August, before I moved, to look at the vehicle. Of course, he did not show. When I was at the dealership in August (in NJ) I saw that another customer had a repair ticket with the same complaint. I took a picture of it in case Genesis denies other complaints. The new dealer that is doing a 27K service in a week will look at it but won't be able to recreate it since they don't take it on a longer trip with high temp/humidity. Hannah is supposed to have a national tech look at the vehicle in Charlotte next week. Bet he doesn't show. I have sent Hannah links to this forum since she tells me, when the few times that she responds to me, that Genesis does not recognize this as a lemon law problem because the dealers cannot recreate the problem. Has anyone else had this same experience with Genesis National? Has anyone tried to contact the COO or new CEO?
Do you or anyone know what the fix is for this issue? i have taken this to the dealership 3 times and they think i'm crazy. I've told them you have to drive the car for over 30 minutes before the air stops blowing. Anyone know a fix for this? Thanks, Jeremy

61 - 78 of 78 Posts