Genesis G80 Forum banner

Tire pressure

21K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  budbyr 
#1 ·
G80 5.0 was delivered with placard recommended tire pressures [F=33, R=35]. Also, believe inflation was with "N" (nitrogen), but that's a separate thought.

Over years, I've been best served having cool pressures set 2 to 3# higher than placard. I prefer easy rolling and response versus "the ride".

Would appreciate observations/comments relating to G80 "numbers".

#2 ·
The way I always seen these numbers on any car is as just some default approach, a one size fits all approach if you know what I mean.
Personally I never cared to change them with the OEM wheel/tire set, but going aftermarket that's a different story.

Have you been experimenting with different pressure ratings?

#3 ·
interestingly enough when I got my g80 from the dealer as i'm riding home I noticed the tire pressures were about 45-48 and I actually pulled over and let air out..assume they filled them up to max since it was likely sitting on lot for a couple of months and they didn't want it to drop below minimums..i have my on 35-36 cold pressure so I don't have to continually add air if the cold weather sets off the alert..

#6 ·
I think that higher pressure from the dealer might be a result of them not adjusting it from what might be a shipping setting. Wont be entirely surprised if that was the case. If it is i wonder what else the dealer didn't check before sending it off to you

#7 ·
That's a good point, didn't think about it. They could have missed that on the PDI and just left it there because I have heard that they're typically sent with higher than recommended tire pressures. Apparently it has something to do with them strapping the car down and something with the pressure down on the tires on the truck.

#8 ·
Today (4/14) inflated front to 35# and rear to 37# at 80ºF. Will observe for a week and then post.

Follow-up: (4/22): A week of mostly short runs and a 60 mi circuit am happy with the increased settings. Feels "tighter" on ramp curves and lane changes. A bit more "bump" of road surface, but that's trade-off I expected. Think I'll hold the pressures for Summer and continue observing. Cheers!

#10 ·
MPG change is difficult to discern due to urban driving. Am confident it will remain in 21 to 28 range - that's what I've experienced in first 1000 miles. Didn't buy the 5.0 for "gas mileage", but am VERY pleased with current results. Will leave the pressures at 35F/37R for next few months. Seems to be good balance between ride (which Gensis wants you to have), tracking/tire wear/MPG (which is MY interest). Cheers!

#14 ·
Am with you on the 2# higher. Prefer handling/stability to the "ride" numbers - which I believe MFGs guide toward. Last car; 2006 Acura RL ran 45K miles over 11 years on delivered tires set at 2#+ standard. Sold it with 'em! Drive straight and tires will last.

#23 ·
6 mo later

Have been away almost six months... some difficulty with sign-on to forum.
Today STL temp was 72F. Have set tire pressure to 40# all-around. Dealer apparently "dropped" them to 32# when car was in for oil&filter change (without mentioning to me). History tells me the 40 will drop to about 35# in the colder time coming.
Have learned how to delete addresses on Nav system. Manual had me confused on location of MENU - it is the button, not the tag on nav screen. Duh! So much to learn... great.
Cheers!

#25 ·
Am thinking "ccflor...." is in a location warmer than MO in Winter months (nice). 40# at 72F seems to drop to about 35-36# at freezing, which MO will be enjoying soon. Preferring track-ability to soft ride, I set pressures to "high side".
Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.