Smart Key low battery warning - Genesis G80 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Smart Key low battery warning

My G80 has begun displaying a low battery warning re the smart key. As I've replaced the battery 3 times in the past 8 months, I asked the Dealer if they could order me a new one for possible replacement at the time of the next Service that's due in 2 weeks.

The response from the Service Dept Rep. was "Do you know that those cost $1,700, and that if there's nothing wrong with your smart key then we're up for that cost?"

Fantastic customer service, but as I'm too old to any longer argue the point about such things, I just walked away.

A Service is due, so if there is indeed an issue with the smart key then I'll simply use the second one until such time as the $1,700 replacement arrives.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE - the low battery warning message came up again yesterday, and after replacing the 2032 battery for the fourth time in 8 months, I checked the voltage of the one that gave rise to the warning. It showed 2.94 volts (of 3 volts capacity) ........ so it's not flat!

Either the ECU warnings are erroneous or the smart key is faulty, but has anybody else experienced the problem and have a solution?

-- Neal M --
(AKA "Whale")
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 04:22 PM

You can try asking them to warranty the key so you can get a new set to reprogram. Its the only solution I can see.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks BenR - after receiving a less than helpful response from a Hyundai Dealer, which I suspect MAY have something to do with Hyundai's decision to open dedicated Genesis (only) Dealerships, I contacted Genesis Motors Australia and spoke with Peter Quinn.

Peter was not just able to diagnose the smart-key problem, but arranged for a new one to be delivered to my local Hyundai Dealership in time for my scheduled Service there.

The new smart key was supplied and programed, and thus far it looks like problem solved.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:54 PM

@Neal that's the kind of servicing I like to hear. Hyundai/Genesis will continue to win over a lot of people if they keep that up. That will become more important as they launch more new vehicles, specifically with the new G80
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenR View Post
@Neal that's the kind of servicing I like to hear. Hyundai/Genesis will continue to win over a lot of people if they keep that up. That will become more important as they launch more new vehicles, specifically with the new G80
Coupled with fancy Genesis dealer design layouts, as i've been seeing in renderings, its the last piece of the puzzle aside from launching SUV's!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 11:31 PM

So sorry to learn of your experience.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page