Augmented reality HUD at CES 2019 - Genesis G80 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Augmented reality HUD at CES 2019

A key different automakers including Hyundai have invested in a new start-up company called WayRay. Instead of traditional heads up display this new system projects images directly onto the road in front of you. Hyundai has said they hope to make this kind of technology standard in some of their future models. https://www.autoevolution.com/news/g...9-131523.html#
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 06:57 PM

I heard there are plans to use more of the windshield for HUD style setups.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 09:38 AM

That's pretty neat, though I worry how this kind of system would work during inclement weather. Keeping drivers eyes on the road rather than on the infotainment screen should greatly reduce the amount of distracted drivers. Would be cool if it was customizable.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:46 AM

Are they not planning on placing these new projectors somewhere along the dash. Makes no sense for them to be placed on the exterior of the car for the exact reason that Blayne has suggested.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
That's pretty neat, though I worry how this kind of system would work during inclement weather. Keeping drivers eyes on the road rather than on the infotainment screen should greatly reduce the amount of distracted drivers. Would be cool if it was customizable.
HUD systems do come with auto brightness much like what most smart devices have these days but I can't speak on behalf of Hyundai/Genesis as yet.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

This system is still in its early stages, but there are a lot of exciting features that could be explored. Have real time traffic information relayed in this manner could be a great way of avoiding congestion.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 11:31 AM

I know that Google has announced they are adding crash and speed trap alerts to Maps, sometime in the next few weeks. That's going to give Waze a bit of trouble with their crowd source based system.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
I know that Google has announced they are adding crash and speed trap alerts to Maps, sometime in the next few weeks. That's going to give Waze a bit of trouble with their crowd source based system.
Waze and other brands will have to utilize other ways of gathering data in order to compete which can't be hard with all the data sharing happening among companies.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

I'm surprised that law enforcement is allowing Maps to implement speed trap notifications. I guess since a lot of traffic violations are now caught on camera, that they still expect to hit their quotas.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page