Near Production Ready 2020 Genesis G80 Spied - Genesis G80 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Near Production Ready 2020 Genesis G80 Spied

All that covers this near production ready looking 2020 Genesis G80 prototype is a layer of camouflage vinyl wrap.
In previous spy shots, thick covers disguised the completely new design but here all that's left is a layer of vinyl, measuring no more than a few millimeter's. Exhaust tips matching the grille design can also be seen. Once the body work is completely revealed around end of Q3 to early Q4 we should see design that gets even close to some of the latest Genesis concepts (think "New York Concept" and GV80 concept)

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 06:46 PM

It sure matches up to the leaks and renderings released months back. Best of all this looks to be a low-to-mid level trim. What else could be planned?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the info., but I am still waiting to see what Genesis actually puts on the show room floors. There is a "new" Genesis dealer in my area, but it is actually the long-standing Hyundai dealership. Even though has been a certified Genesis dealer for several months, there are no Genesis signs and no print or TV advertising for Genesis.
I see very few Genesis' on the road and almost all are actually the Hyundai models - and this in a very large SMSA.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
Thanks for the info., but I am still waiting to see what Genesis actually puts on the show room floors. There is a "new" Genesis dealer in my area, but it is actually the long-standing Hyundai dealership. Even though has been a certified Genesis dealer for several months, there are no Genesis signs and no print or TV advertising for Genesis.
I see very few Genesis' on the road and almost all are actually the Hyundai models - and this in a very large SMSA.
My biggest concern is how they tune the engine/transmission setup to go in the new G80.

If its more of the same and nothing new, the G80 could be in for a rough launch. Have you heard anything about powertrains?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plug View Post
My biggest concern is how they tune the engine/transmission setup to go in the new G80.

If its more of the same and nothing new, the G80 could be in for a rough launch. Have you heard anything about powertrains?
I am more interested in the G80 as a midsized luxury sedan rather than as a performance car. So, a good powertrain that delivers decent performance and economy, while being reliable is more important.
So, to me what the car looks like interior and exterior and the amenities offered are most important. That and reasonable access to a dealership.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plug View Post

There will be some engine changes with the G80. Genesis will be scrapping the V8 for its turbocharged V6. This article from Car and Driver does a good job breaking down these spy photos.

Quote:
The new Genesis sedan appears to be lower and wider than the current version. It sports a sleeker roofline with a more steeply raked A-pillar up front and a fatter C-pillar out back, which now smoothly tapers into the decklid. Judging by the trunk lines and fixed rear window, the G80 will remain a conventional sedan and won't morph into a four-door hatchback la the Porsche Panamera.

The outgoing G80 has a rigid shape with strong character lines stamped into its bodywork, but its replacement looks to scale back on the creased surfaces. Instead, its face stretches out wider and now sharpens to a point. The next G80 also has broader shoulders that cascade into curved side surfacing. A set of black markings on the wrapped front fenders hint at air vents, and the car's dual exhaust tips are a notable change from the old quad-tip setup.

While these spy photos don't provide any information about the G80's performance or powertrain, we know there will be changes under the hood. Genesis has already said that it will not offer a V-8 engine on the next-gen model. The equivalent range-topping engine will be a turbocharged V-6. The 420-hp 5.0-liter V-8 that's currently available on the G80 and the Genesis G90 sedan will eventually be put out to pasture.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Mack View Post
There will be some engine changes with the G80. Genesis will be scrapping the V8 for its turbocharged V6. This article from Car and Driver does a good job breaking down these spy photos.
Personally I don't care for roof lines on sedans that taper into the trunk. It also creates significant problems with headroom for rear seat passengers. To compensate they tend to push seats closer to front passenger seats leaving less foot room as well.
Also, it appears there is very little opening for trunk lid. Another problem purely to make vehicle appeal to those who want a sporty car.
Appears that Genesis should just do away with the G80 and go with the SUV's they really want to sell and the G70 and G90.

Last edited by El Cid; 08-14-2019 at 03:22 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
Personally I don't care for roof lines on sedans that taper into the trunk. It also creates significant problems with headroom for rear seat passengers. To compensate they tend to push seats closer to front passenger seats leaving less foot room as well.
Also, it appears there is very little opening for trunk lid. Another problem purely to make vehicle appeal to those who want a sporty car.
Appears that Genesis should just do away with the G80 and go with the SUV's they really want to sell and the G70 and G90.
Get used to it. That's where most vehicles are headed, even SUV's. Camera systems and sensors make up for it. So its not an issue.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenR View Post
Get used to it. That's where most vehicles are headed, even SUV's. Camera systems and sensors make up for it. So its not an issue.
Not really responsive to what I posted. The loss of headroom and accessibility in back seat and accessibility to trunk are issues. Not just the way the vehicles look from the side.

Incidentally, it appears Genesis, as a make, sales are either declining or stagnating. It's percent of market share is also declining.

Recently sales have gone up due to adding more dealers (not many) and delivering more G70's per Automotive News. Will top out at 340 dealers nationwide probably.

Last edited by El Cid; 08-25-2019 at 10:56 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page