Genesis G80 Forum banner

G80 vs. 2017 Lincoln Continental

7K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  El Cid 
#1 ·
Has anyone been making this comparison? I've looked at both and each has advantages, although the Continental is pricier. High performance is not a desire of mine so the availability of a V8 or quicker 0-60, etc. doesn' matter.
Thanks for any input.

#3 ·
When car shopping I also look at what the customer service end is like and Ford/Lincoln isn't necessarily known for that but when it comes to Japanese, Korean and German car dealers, it's a whole different story. If the Continental looked as good as an S-Class then I would consider it.

#4 ·
2017 Continental vs G80

Yesterday I took a 3 hour road trip with a friend and his new Continental and got to drive it for comparison to my G80. It is a very nice looking and comfortable car but the first thing I noticed is the engine and road noise seems louder than the G80 and it does not ride as well. The Continental had a 3.0 V6 with 400 hp and ample power, but it was noisy and felt like it was working hard. Also I did not care for the transmission which seemed to be all or nothing when you pressed the accelerator. I did like the exterior design and the fit and finish were excellent, but the G80's v8 can't be beat and it is a smoother running car.

#5 ·
Service ultimately depends on which dealership you go to as it'll always be an up and down.

The Continental would never look as good as the S-Class though.. interior or exterior in my opinion.

Smoothness in these vehicles is a big thing for me though, I want to have the power but I also want to have a relaxed ride when it comes down to it. Not really expecting much out of vehicles in this segment though, is it?

#6 ·
My S550 is the smoothest, quietest and best riding car I have ever owned or ridden in, despite being a rag top. With over 100 more ft. lbs. of torgue the power is always there in the right amount. But heck, I drive he G80 every day and just keep on loving it for what it is. The Tau engine is very smooth and I am averaging 23.5 mpg overall. The 550 is about 19 mpg. overall. I just wish it didn't look like every other car out there. Last night I mistook a white Ford Fusion for my G80 from a distance.

#7 ·
See that's the great thing about owning a Mercedes like that, because of how well executed the design was it will always stand out and always age very well. Even S-Class sedan's from the 90's still look very good today, better than some 2017 Luxury Sedans.

#8 ·
23.5mpg and 19mpg doesn't sound like much of a difference to someone looking at it on paper but you definitely feel it. The problem with you seeing a Fusion and thinking it was the same thing would eventually bother the heck out of me. If someone came up to me and asked if it was a Fusion, I would be pretty irritated lol

#9 ·
I, too considered the 2017 Continental - even obtained the full brochure and endured numerous 'phone messages...
In the end, I wanted a simple V8 (no turbo stuff). Genesis pricing then "made the deal" for me.
Am VERY happy with 5.0 model. Hard to find, but "got it"!!

#12 ·
The new Lincoln Continental looks pretty darn insane and with the right color combo, you'd think it was something ridiculously expensive. The more I look at it now, the more I'm starting to like it haha.

What would you rather them work on for the next update?
Giving the MKZ an entire exterior refresh would be great since I and many others think its terribly ugly. They already shown with the Continential and Naviagtor that better can be done.

Front end got better but rear end needs work:

#14 ·
Ford talked about cutting models from its line up and I think Lincoln has more of a future with CUV's and SUV's rather than affordable sedans.

The only way they'll get around it is by offering sporty compact sedans but its not what people expect from Lincoln, instead that's left up to BMW/Benz/Audi.

#15 ·
Ford is considering eliminating the Focus which underpins both the MKZ and the Continental. Taurus is already gone as is the MKS. Would not be surprised to see Lincoln exit the sedan market entirely and hope for the best with CUV's and SUV's. That or just fold altogether.
One major problem with the Continental is the insane prices for decently equipped models. It is right up there with BMW and M-B, both of which get pricey when you add the options that are standard on Genesis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.